Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Kicked myself in the right gear


Here we are at the beginning of our journey.
As this year wraps up what is on your mind? Are you planning for the new year? Do you have a resolution in mind? I wanted to share with you about a lifestyle change that took place in our lives almost 3 months ago. Many of you may call it a diet, but to be honest for us it is our life now. A friend shared with me about the Whole30 program and what a difference it made in her life. To be honest when she shared about how she feels and about how good the food tastes I didn't really listen, I immediately went in game/project mode. This is something that I could challenge Jesse in and a project to keep my mind off of the rollercoaster ride of our adoption

 



Well the game started on October 6th the day after our anniversary. Let me just say that Jesse wasn't 100% on board because this plan does not allow food with added sugar, grains, dairy, legumes, or soy. Many people said then what do you eat???.. Salad... My response is that we eat all that you eat, but we just eat it clean and without those added items. You can only imagine that amount of preservatives and artificial flavors that are added to food. Well when you start reading labels you find out that everything has sugar added and there are alot of words that you cannot pronounce. So for 30 days I could not have any of these items and I had to watch everything I ate.

  
Steak, Sweet Potatoes, and Green Tomatoes
Coconut Flour Tortilla Tacos
I wish I could say that it was easy, but it was a challenge. Let me just tell you that I am a coffee addict and I must have tons of cream and sugar with a pinch of coffee. So weeks heading up to this plan I started decreasing my sugar in my coffee because my plan was to start taking my coffee black. So day one I brewed my first cup of black coffee. It was disgusting... It was the worst tasting thing I have ever drank.. Day two I tried unsweetened almond milk in my coffee... Blah!  I wanted another cup of black coffee. Day three I gave up and started drinking unsweetened hot tea. That wasn't too bad. So for the rest of the first week I drank hot tea. I experimented with all kinds of flavors and the desire I had to drink coffee eventually went away. Around Day 10 I decided to put unsweetened coconut milk in my coffee and you know what,it was ok. So I knew if I really needed a cup of coffee that I could just add some coconut milk it in. The desire to have coffee still wasn't there so I continued on with tea. Finally on Day 30 I needed a cup of coffee so I drank it with coconut milk and guess what I loved it. I knew at that moment that I no longer needed the sugar in my coffee to satisfy me and even today that is how I take my coffee. I share this story to help you understand to not quit. Just because something is hard at first doesn't mean that it won't ever become easy. I think this could apply to many things in my life.

Jesse said I was steaming hot! Down 30 lbs.
One of my favorite verses in the Bible says I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Well if I didn't have the strength of the Lord I would not have made it as long as I did. Day 30 was a day of rejoicing as I lost 17 lbs, Jesse lost 10 lbs, and I was cured from my digestive condition. I am also very hopeful that I have moved from pre-diabetic to non-diabetic more to come on those results. Also my skin cleared up, I have so much energy, I no longer need that afternoon cup of Joe, and I only crave fruits and veggies. This stuff really worked for us. We loved it so much that we continued eating clean after the whole 30 and only added a few items back in our diet. My pleasure food is chips and salsa so I started eating Organic Chips fried in sunflower oil with homemade salsa. Jesse added a little bread to his diet since he missed sandwiches. We are now regulars at Publix, Trader Joes, and the Turnip Truck. During Christmas when we were buying mac and cheese for the kiddos Latrell at Publix asked us what we were buying. Yes we are on a first name basis with our cashiers at Publix. 

Ok now the crazy part.. I can't believe I am going to post this picture but here are my stats. I began on October 6 at 262 lbs and here I am today weighing 230 lbs. I am so amazed at how easy this was and to know that I didn't start exercising until the week of Thanksgiving. It is amazing!

So if you are looking for a lifestyle change or even if you are looking for a quick diet, this works for you. I only say a quick diet because as soon as you do this you will not want to go back. Jesse and I kept our flour and sweeteners thinking we would use them after day 30, but those were all either donated or trashed because we no longer needed them. You will love how you feel, how you look, and how your strength is multiplied.  



The last point I want to share is about my strength and my willpower. I have completely changed and have grown up. I know you think Krista it has only been 3 months, how can that be? Well since I was so strong and made it through those headaches, the detoxing, and the cravings I am growing into a woman of Strength. I found this picture and it describes me exactly. I moved from being a woman with a strong personality to a woman of strength. I handle situations differently, I choose not to gossip, I choose not to be angry or to get my feelings hurt. I love my new life.

Ok finally the part for you. So how does this apply to your resolutions? You may be considering eating right, you want to stop smoking, you want to be a better steward with your money, you want to volunteer more, or fill in the blank.  Well here are some tips that helped me get through the first Whole 30 and these can really apply to any resolution. 

  • I found refuge in my Faith. I know not everyone reading this is a believer, but know that the Lord really helped me through my first round and I know He will not leave me during the second round.
  • Make sure you do your research. This program has a book that helps with your journey and there are several items online.
  • Plan...plan...plan... I will tell you this next round I will be a better planner. We did a great job with dinner, but not so good with our lunches. So I am going to make sure I have everything planned out a week in advance or maybe even the entire month. 
  • Support... support...support... I joined a Facebook support group for the Whole30 and was able to ask questions, encourage others, be encouraged by others, and to get recipes.
  • Oh yeah you need some good recipes.. I actually joined Pinterest just to get recipes. Feel free to follow my boards on Whole30/Paleo or even Clean Recipes I have tried. There are several cookbooks out there or recipes online.
  • I made it a game. I wanted to beat Jesse so bad and it made me battle those cravings because I wasn't going to be the first one to lose. 
  • Don't do it alone. Cooking was easy when I wasn't just doing it for myself. Also it is good to have a partner encouraging you along the way.
  • Have fun! Be adventurous! Enjoy Food!

Time to take a break from writing to enjoy my Banana Pecan Ice Cream. Until next time....


Philippians 3:12-14 MSG
12-14 I’m not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don’t get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I’ve got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. I’m off and running, and I’m not turning back.

2 comments:

  1. Great outlook on your journey! Congratulations on your results. My husband and I will be starting our first run on the 5th!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck! We will be doing round 2 starting on the 5th as well. We should stay connected so we can encourage one another.

      Delete