Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Jumping for Joy

What is joy? It's funny when you start to think about the joy we have in our lives and how we easily mistake our happiness for joy. Is joy the type of job we have, our social status, our bank statement or even our friends? Or is true joy knowing that only by grace and by grace alone that we are able to know how blessed we are for having Jesus Christ in our hearts. 

Joy comes from God....

Joy was born in the person of Jesus Christ....

And we are called to spread the Gospel and to bring the message of JOY to others.

10 But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. 11 Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord.- Luke 2:10-11 NIV


Lately I have sensed the urgency to spread the joy that I have had in my heart. I have had to step back from the busyness of my schedule and had to make time to share with others. I had this chance this past Saturday as I joined a friend on a day trip to Memphis to help hand out clothes, food, and Bibles. We went out early on Saturday morning with 30 bags. Each bag had nonperishable foods, water, socks, gloves, and some hygiene supplies, we even had men's clothing and about 270 Bibles. We set out to share God’s joy and His word to everyone or anyone. We first began by driving around the south side of Memphis. We would stop people in the middle of the street and ask if they wanted to be blessed. Most of people looked at us like we were crazy. But once they understood our intentions they came around. Every bag came with a Bible and an instant prayer. It's interesting to see people's reaction to two guys just driving around handing our bags and praying for people. 
I would never forget this one lady name Linda. As we stopped she came over and asked what we were doing, I immediately said we are handing out blessings and prayers. She accepted the blessing and I handed her a bag of items and then I handed her a little Bible. Her face immediately lit up. She asked if she could really keep the bible, I said yes. She began to tear up, I then asked her if I could pray for her and if she had any prayer request, she became overwhelmed with joy. Asking me why I am doing this? Why would I come all the way from Nashville to Memphis just to hand out bibles? I told her it's because Jesus loves us so much and I wanted to share His love and joy with others. So we began to pray... After about 2-3 minutes of prayer I looked at my friend Linda, she was so moved that she began to cry. She admitted that she needed something special that day.

What about JOY now? Are you being challenged? Go out share your joy with others. 

14 “You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that[a] they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.- Matthew 5:14-16


No comments:

Post a Comment