Tuesday, March 11, 2014

the "Shoes" in the back of my closet

This morning as I drove into work I listened to some good ole classic hymns. I began thinking about where I was when I first heard this hymn and who taught this to me. Well my sisters and I used to go to a little ole Nazarene church and we used to sit in the front row and we loved singing those hymns. Blessed Assurance, When we all get to heaven, Victory in Jesus, O How I love Jesus, and my favorite Great is Thy Faithfulness.  


“Great is Thy faithfulness,” O God my Father,
There is no shadow of turning with Thee;
Thou changest not, Thy compassions, they fail not
As Thou hast been Thou forever wilt be.

“Great is Thy faithfulness!” “Great is Thy faithfulness!“
Morning by morning new mercies I see;
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided—
“Great is Thy faithfulness,” Lord, unto me!

Summer and winter, and springtime and harvest,
Sun, moon and stars in their courses above,
Join with all nature in manifold witness
To Thy great faithfulness, mercy and love.

Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth, 
Thine own dear presence to cheer and to guide;
Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow, 
Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside!


Reflecting back on this, it reminded me that sometimes you need to pull those shoes out from the back of your closet and share them with others. I want to be able to share these traditions with my children and teach them the good ole classic hymns as well as the new ones.  I want to teach my children that it is important to share where you have come from and where you have been.  

I have also learned it is good to understand the language.  Last week someone said How are thee??  I said, I am well.  Then they said How are thine??  My reply was What, I don't speak King James!  Speak to me in ESV.   Looking back on this I know it is ok that I don't understand King James, but I grew up with that version and many of the hymns that I love are in King James just like Great is Thy Faithfulness.  I have challenged myself to learn and to speak King James for the sake of myself but also my children. Proverbs 22:6 (KJV) Train up a child in the way he should go; and when he is old, he will not depart from it.

The final thought I have is that I do not have any of my grandmothers recipes. We have turned into a generation where we can just go look up recipes online or through The Pioneer Women's blog (which I love by the way).  What ever happened to passing along recipes generation after generation through your own family.  My grandmother made the best banana pudding ever. Now I did not like meringue but my granny always put some on there.  I have to think that my children may like it or they may want to make this for their own children.  My grandmother passed away over 8 years ago and I will never forget those times in the kitchen with her and also that she never put that meringue on my side of the Nanner Puddin.  One other thing she would always say.. What is my name? Puddintain, ask me again I'll tell you the same. I miss my granny! I guess I have some research to do in order to get these recipes for my family.

So this week I encourage you to look back at your past and to see where you have come from and where you have been.  The only way to reveal your past is to share it..



2 comments:

  1. I always enjoyed the meringue from your part. I sure miss her too. I miss the way she smells and her smile

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a promise....with a capital P!!!

    ReplyDelete